Military Family Resources


Isle of Wight County Schools is proud to provide resources to assist our military families.  For more details or questions about specific needs, please contact the guidance department at one of our schools. 

Area Military Installations

Parent & Family Resources

Virginia School Report Card - The Virginia School Report Card is a collection of data compiled on an annual basis to provide information on school performance.

School Quest - SchoolQuest is an educational resource tool from the Military Child Education Coalition designed for military students, their families and the caring professionals who support them. SchoolQuest is well-suited to anyone who is “questing” information about schools, college and workplace readiness, transition, etc. It’s also a secure storage site for students’ educational, extra-curricular, award, volunteer and work information.

Military One Source - Military OneSource is provided by the Department of Defense at no cost to active duty, Guard and Reserve (regardless of activation status) and their families. It is a virtual extension of installation services. Consultants are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Military Child Education Coalition ( - The Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC) is a non-profit organization that seeks to address transition and education issues that face military-connected children..

Virginia Operation: Military Kids (OMK) - Operation Military KIDS (OMK) provides support to the children and youth of families who are impacted by deployment.

Military Youth on the Move - This site is an easy to use resource that reaches out to youth with creative ways to cope with issues that arise in the face of a move, such as transitioning to a new school, saying goodbye to friends, and getting involved in a new community.

Academic & Educationals Resources - online resource for accredited colleges and universities.

Student Online Achievement Resource (SOAR) - SOAR is an internet-based program for students in grades 3-12. Students can take an assessment test aligned to state standards and SOAR directs them to tutorials to improves skills where needed.

Specialized Training of Military Families (STOMP) - STOMP will provide military parents with individual assistance and information about parents' rights and responsibilities in achieving special education services for their children whether located in the United States or overseas.

Military Impacted Schools Association - Military Impacted Schools Association (MISA) is a national organization representing school districts that serve high concentrations of military children.

Military K-12 Partners - The Department of Defense Education Activity’s Educational Partnership Branch is dedicated to every military child’s right to a quality education regardless of their location or how often their family moves.

eKnowledge - Free SAT/ACT preparation materials

Military Scholar - College scholarship information for children of activity duty, retired or deceased service members.

Student Aid - Find information on federally funded financial assistance programs —grants, loans and work-study —for education beyond high school.

My Future - A site to aid students in their search for information on careers, colleges and the military.

Welcome to Isle of Wight County Schools! 

Any child who reaches the age of 5 by September 30 of the start of a new school year may enroll as a kindergarten student in IWCS. Students with birthdays after September 30 must wait until the following school year to attend public school in Virginia.

To ensure a smooth transition for students transferring from other school divisions, it is important that school records be forwarded in a timely manner. Please be sure to provide your child's current school with contact information for their new IWCS school. Once records are received, placement and class schedules can be set.

Parents also will need to gather several forms to ensure successful enrollment. Items Needed to Register Child:

  1. Proof of Residency – this could be a mortgage/lease statement or a current public utility bill such as water, electric or gas or a residency affidavit (available at any school office)
  2. Child’s State Issued Birth Certificate
  3. Social Security Card
  4. Child’s Physical Health Form – dated within 12 months of school start date and Immunization Record
  5. Custody papers (if applicable)
  6. Photo Identification - of Parent/Guardian

If you have questions about the enrollment process, please call the main office of your child's new school or call 757-357-4393 for information.